BADERC Metabolic Physiology Core (HMS)
Director: Peroni, Odile, Ph.D.; Kahn, Barbara, M.D.
Location: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, E/cls 747, 330 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215
Director: Peroni, Odile, Ph.D.
Phone: (617) 735-3326
Director: Kahn, Barbara, M.D.
Phone: (617) 735-3324
Role: Senior Research Associate
Phone: (617) 735-3330
|Facilities and Equipment:|
Location of Core: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, E/cls 747, 330 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215
- Beckman Coulter cell counter equipped with a multisizer (to count and measure size of cells)
- CODA 8 for non-invasive measurement of blood pressure in mice
- GE DEXA densitometer for measurement of body composition (percent fat)
- Biochemical assays
* Insulin signaling: PI-3 kinase, Akt, GSK3, p70s6 kinase, MAP kinase, glycogen synthase activation; phosphorylation of insulin receptor and IRSs.
* Leptin signaling: Jaks, stats, AMP kinase, MAP kinase
* Enzyme activity assays: AMP Kinase, Glucose 6-Phosphatase
* Tissue glycogen or lipid content.
* Measurement of neuropeptides expression (NPY, POMC, AgRP, MCH mRNA) in hypothalamic nuclei.
- Consultation service
Consultation and assistance on writing animal protocols regarding services offered by the Core.
- Dissections and surgeries
Teaching and consultations only:
* Dissection of adipose tissues, brown adipose tissues, liver, kidney, heart, pectoralis muscle and leg muscle (tibialis anterior, gastrocnemius, EDL and Soleus).
* Dissection of whole hypothalamus and individual hypothalamic nuclei.
* Placement of Intracerebroventricular (ICV) Cannula for direct delivery of hormones and compounds in brain.
* Placement of intravenous (jugular) catheter for direct delivery of hormones and compounds directly in blood stream.
* Subcutaneous implantation of osmotic minipumps.
* Subcutaneous white adipose tissue biopsy.
* Subcutaneous white adipose tissue transplantation.
* Formalin perfusion for in situ tissue fixation.
- Instrumentation access
* Use of DEXA scanner for determination of body fat and/or bone density. Fee for service.
* Use of Coulter Counter to measure cell number and cell size distribution using our new coulter counter equipped with a multisizer (number and size of cells are determined on the same sample at the same time).
- Metabolic physiology in vitro studies
* Isolation of adipocytes – counting the number and cell size distribution of adipocytes using our new coulter counter equipped with a multisizer (number and size of cells are determined on the same sample at the same time).
* Glucose transport and metabolism studies in isolated adipocytes. Insulin dose response (glucose transport, glucose utilization, lipolysis).
* Insulin or leptin signaling in isolated adipocytes – dose response.
* Glucose transport in EDL and Soleus muscle. Insulin dose response.
* Insulin signaling in EDL and Soleus muscle– dose response.
- Metabolic physiology in vivo studies
* Glucose homeostasis: glucose tolerance tests, insulin tolerance tests, pyruvate tolerance test.
* Lipid homeostasis: lipid tolerance test, hepatic VLDL production.
* In vivo lipogenesis in adipose tissues and liver (Terminal study)- Experimental design and consultation.
* Body composition: DEXA analysis of body fat or bone density, carcass hydrolysis (terminal study).
* Animal models of insulin resistance (dietary, genetic, hypothalamic lesion).
* Signaling studies in response to injections of insulin, and leptin (Terminal study)- Experimental design and consultation.
* Assessment of hormone and metabolite concentrations – timing, stimulation, feeding status – experimental design and consultation only.
* Euglycemic-hyperinsulinemic clamp studies- Experimental design and consultation only.
* Measurement of food intake in response to administration of orexigenic and anorexigenic agents.
|Departmental Web Link(s):|